ugh.
Perhaps it makes me a horrible person, but I am so sick of hearing about Terri Schiavo. Her story even ran on the front of the New York Times today. Everytime I turned on the news these past two weeks, I was confronted with some video footage of people congregating outside Terri's hospice or images of Terri struggling for life, and I almost always immediatley changed the channel.
There are primarly two things that bother me about this case.
1. What the fuck are people doing rallying outside her hospice? I'm thinking its mostly these obnoxious right wing christians or other 'caring' folks who think they need to save Terri Schiavo's life. Hey guys. I got news for you. Terri Schiavo's brain dead and has been that way for what, 15 years now? There are TONS of underprivilaged people out there, who ARE NOT BRAIN DEAD, and who would love some of your attention and support. I'm sure that glass of water or food you were trying to give Terri would make their day. Instead, you choose to interfere with a family's private decisions, and put all your efforts into fighting for a brain dead woman who will never enjoy life the way she once did, when clearly, your efforts would be better used and appreciated somewhere else.
and
2. I don't know about anybody else, but I would never want to be remembered as people will remember terri schiavo. nobody knows much about terri before she went brain dead; all they know are what the media has shown us in recent days..which is images of her gasping for air or needing a feeding tube, in a nutshell, images of her dying, broadcasted around the world. And I think its unfair to her that she has been exposed in this way.
I have nothing against Terri Schiavo, her husband for wanting to let her go, or her family for wanting to keep her alive. I just can't believe the amount of attention it has gotten, and it disgusts me the way politicians have managed to involve themselves in the case, creating this 'culture of life' blah blah blah. Thats a whole another story.
Anyway, i think i've done enough bitching for the day. Now I can go read about the poor Pope dying.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home